Carson leads Arizona State past Stanford in OTMar 13, 2013 - 11:03 PM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Jahii Carson set a Pac-12 Tournament Freshman record with a career-high 34 points, and Arizona State recovered from blowing an eight-point lead late in regulation to earn an 89-88 overtime decision over Stanford in a first-round matchup.
Carrick Felix added 19 points and Evan Gordon contributed 16 off the bench for the ninth-seeded Sun Devils (21-11), who will next take on regular-season champion UCLA in Thursday's quarterfinals.
Aaron Bright finished with 27 points while hitting 6-of-12 attempts from 3- point range for eighth-seeded Stanford (18-14), with Dwight Powell and Josh Huestis scoring 23 and 17 points, respectively, in the loss.
The Sun Devils held a 75-67 advantage with 1:26 left in the second half, before Stanford closed the period on a 12-4 run to force extra time.
Bright accounted for seven of those points during the spurt and was fouled after knocking down a triple with 38 seconds to go that pulled the Cardinal within 79-78. He then sank the ensuing bonus shot to tie it, and Carson missed a 3-point try at the buzzer to bring on the overtime session.
Powell scored the first basket of the additional frame to put Stanford in front, but the Sun Devils responded with a 9-2 burst -- during which Carson had the first five points -- to take an 88-83 lead with 14 seconds remaining in OT.
- ARIZONA STATE: 89
Final - OT
Mar 13 5:17 PM
- ARIZONA STATE: 79
End of Regulation
Mar 13 5:01 PM
- ARIZONA STATE: 35
Mar 13 3:51 PM
- ARIZONA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 13 3:07 PM
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18