K-State ousts OK State to reach Big 12 finalMar 16, 2013 - 5:28 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Rodney McGruder scored 25 points and Angel Rodriguez added 17, as 11th-ranked Kansas State beat No. 14 Oklahoma State, 68-57, in the semifinals of the Big 12 Tournament.
Jordan Henriquez had eight points and 11 rebounds for the Wildcats (27-6), who will try for their first Big 12 tourney title Saturday against seventh-ranked Kansas.
The Wildcats lost to the Jayhawks in the 2010 championship game and lost to Kansas twice this regular season.
Marcus Smart scored 18 and Le'Bryan Nash added 11 for the Cowboys (24-8), who edged Baylor on Thursday.
K-State was up by five at the half, but then limited the Cowboys to 29 percent shooting (9-of-31) in the final 20 minutes. Meanwhile, the Wildcats went 12- of-24 from the field.
Oklahoma State scored nine in a row early on for an 11-7 edge. K-State used a flurry of its own late, a 16-4 push, and held a 28-23 lead at the break.
McGruder's jumper quickly pushed the advantage to double digits at 36-25 before Oklahoma State got within 37-31 on a pair of free throws from Brian Williams.
K-State pulled away for good, though, with an ensuing 9-2 spurt. Thomas Gipson capped the run with a dunk with 11:35 remaining.
"We got on transition. We forced them to take some bad shots," McGruder said. "That allowed us to push the ball a little bit on the break, and we got baskets."
The Cowboys didn't get closer than eight points the rest of the way.
"We just weren't in rhythm to start the game and it just carried over as the game went on. And we just couldn't find the rhythm, and it just hurt us," Smart said.
McGruder had nine rebounds ... The Cowboys finished 30.5 percent from the field, including 5-of-21 from 3-point range.
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- Oklahoma State coach Ford ejected from son's game Dec 11
- Oklahoma State G Forte out with arm injury vs George Mason Nov 20
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State G Evans has star potential Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24