Boynton helps Gators down Alabama in SEC semifinalsMar 16, 2013 - 10:58 PM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - With Florida reeling, Kenny Boynton suddenly came alive.
Boynton netted all 16 of his points in the second half of No. 13 Florida's 61-51 win over Alabama in the semifinals of the SEC Tournament.
Boynton tallied just two points on 1-of-10 shooting through his first three halves during the tourney, but went 6-of-9 over the final 20 minutes Saturday. He tallied 11 straight points during a game-changing 15-0 Florida run with his team down by 10 early in the second half.
"My teammates found me in transition," Boynton said. "Basically, I didn't get more aggressive or anything. The floor just opened up more."
Patric Young added 13 points and nine rebounds for the Gators (26-6), who will play Ole Miss in the SEC Championship game on Sunday.
Trevor Releford had 12 points to lead the Crimson Tide (21-12), who defeated Georgia and Tennessee to get to the semifinals.
"I'll just go to sleep, wake up tomorrow and see what they choose," Releford said when asked about Alabama's NCAA Tournament chances. "Whatever they choose, we go from there."
Nick Jacobs' layup followed by two Releford free throws helped Alabama build a 37-27 advantage with 16:04 to play before Boynton and the Gators took over.
After Will Yeguete sunk two foul shots, Boynton did the same for his first two points of the tilt with 14:56 left. He then secured a defensive rebound and went coast-to-coast for a layup before nailing a left wing 3-pointer on the Gators' next possession. Boynton then made a layup and jumper before Young capped the surge with a jumper to make it 42-37 in favor of Florida with 11:19 to go.
Trevor Lacey hit a triple to stop the bleeding and pull Alabama within two, but a Mike Rosario three point play and a Boynton jumper pushed the spread back to 47-40. A bit later, Boynton's triple made it 50-42 with 8:14 remaining.
Alabama never got within less than four the rest of the way.
Earlier, Florida was just 1-of-8 from beyond the arc in the opening half against the Crimson Tide's stingy defense, and Alabama headed into the break with a 28-25 cushion.
Florida finished just 3-of-17 from beyond the arc ... Rosario finished with 10 points ... Lacey and Jacobs recorded 11 points apiece ... The Gators held a 32-18 points in the paint advantage ... Boynton is 18 points shy of 2000 for his career.
- ALABAMA: 51
Mar 16 2:59 PM
- ALABAMA: 28
Mar 16 1:47 PM
- ALABAMA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 16 1:07 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9