Ducks down Bruins to capture Pac-12 titleMar 17, 2013 - 6:38 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Carlos Emory scored 20 points and Johnathan Loyd added 19 as Oregon topped 21st-ranked UCLA, 78-69, to win the Pac-12 Tournament championship.
Damyean Dotson ended with 13 points, while Arsalan Kazemi chipped in 12 with 12 rebounds, as the Ducks (26-8) captured their first tourney title since 2007 and third in school history. They beat Washington and Utah the two previous rounds.
"Three games in three days, that's a big accomplishment," Loyd said. "We played a lot of good teams, played hard. It was physical."
Larry Drew II and Shabazz Muhammad each totaled 14 points for the Bruins (25-9), who played without Jordan Adams. He broke his right foot on the final play of Friday's win over Arizona and will be lost for the NCAA Tournament.
"It was a big impact," Muhammad said of not playing with Adams. "He's one of our best players on the team. He's always there when you need a big bucket. It's tough without him."
Travis Wear had 13 points, Kyle Anderson 11 and Norman Powell 10 in defeat.
The Bruins led by eight early, but the Ducks responded with a 19-4 spurt, capped by Dotson's 3-pointer for a 23-18 margin with 8 1/2 minutes left in the half.
Oregon held a 41-32 lead at the half, but the Bruins didn't go quietly. They were within 54-52 on Drew's 3-pointer with nearly 12 minutes left. Loyd then sank a jumper and Kazemi's steal and jam increased the spread. After Muhammad missed a pair of shots, E.J. Singler's jumper capped Oregon's spurt for a 60-52 lead with 10 1/2 minutes remaining.
The Bruins never got closer than four points the rest of the way.
The Ducks made half of their 14 3-point tries ... The Bruins have three Pac-12 tourney titles, but none since 2008.
- OREGON: 78
Mar 17 1:08 AM
- OREGON: 41
Mar 16 11:54 PM
- OREGON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 16 11:09 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29