Baylor tops BYU, advances to NIT finalApr 3, 2013 - 2:19 AM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Pierre Jackson extended his collegiate career after pouring in 24 points and 10 assists to lead the Baylor Bears to a 76-70 win over the BYU Cougars in the NIT semifinals at Madison Square Garden.
Cory Jefferson tallied 21 points for Baylor (24-12), which has averaged 89 points per game in four tournament wins thus far. Isaiah Austin registered a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds while A.J. Walton added 10 points.
Tyler Hawes hit 7-of-7 from the foul line and paced BYU (22-14) with 25 points in the losing effort. Matt Carlino netted 19 points while Brandon Davies contributed 13 points. BYU starters were responsible for all but two of its points.
Taurean Prince's tip-in broke a tie game with four seconds remaining in the opening stanza to give Baylor a 35-33 halftime edge. BYU kept things close after outrebounding Baylor, 22-13, with nine of those coming on the offensive end. Both teams shot 14-of-31 from the floor.
The game remained tight until Jackson led a 14-3 Baylor run to put the Bears in a favorable position heading down the stretch. Carlino knocked down three 3-pointers in the final 1:31 to keep things interesting, but Jackson took care of business at the free throw line to secure the win for the Bears.
Jackson needs just 10 points in the NIT championship to pass LaceDarius Dunn for most points in a season in Baylor history.
Baylor awaits the winner of Iowa and Maryland.
- BYU: 70
Apr 2 9:09 PM
- BYU: 33
Apr 2 7:52 PM
- BYU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Apr 2 7:06 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19