No. 25 Virginia tops DavidsonNov 16, 2013 - 8:07 PM Charlotte, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Mike Tobey scored 18 points and pulled down seven rebounds to lead 25th-ranked Virginia to a 70-57 win over Davidson on Saturday.
Malcolm Brogdon had 17 points and seven rebounds, Justin Anderson scored 12 with eight boards and Akil Mitchell had 11 points and nine rebounds for the Cavaliers (2-1), who have won seven straight against the Wildcats.
De'Mon Brooks, Brian Sullivan and Tyler Kalinoski scored 13 points apiece and Kalinoski also pulled down 11 rebounds for Davidson (0-3).
Each team came out slow offensively and scored a combined 12 points in the first five minutes of the game, which gave Davidson an 8-4 lead.
The Cavaliers responded with a 20-5 run. They held onto that lead until a 14-1 burst by the Wildcats that ended with just over two minutes left in the first half. Sullivan's 3-pointer made it a 27-25 contest.
Virginia scored the final four points of the half to take a 29-27 lead.
The Cavaliers went on a 16-3 run early in the second half. Brogdon capped the surge with a layup to make it a 47-33 contest.
Davidson never got closer than nine the rest of the way.
Virginia leads the all-time series by an 11-4 margin ... The Cavaliers are now 3-2 when the teams meet at neutral sites ... Virginia shot 52.1 percent from the field while Davidson only shot 30.6 percent ... Davidson was 11-for-29 from beyond the arc and Virginia was 4-for-11.
- VIRGINIA: 70
Nov 16 2:00 PM
- VIRGINIA: 29
Nov 16 12:44 PM
- VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 12:09 PM
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4
- No. 7 Tar Heels, No. 3 Cavaliers meet in marquee ACC matchup Feb 27