Early, Wichita State edge DavidsonDec 29, 2013 - 10:35 PM Wichita, KS (SportsNetwork.com) - Cleanthony Early totaled 24 points and 10 rebounds as No. 10 Wichita State held off Davidson 81-70 to remain unbeaten on the season.
Ron Baker had just one field goal but shot 12-of-14 from the foul line for 15 points as the Shockers (13-0) finished their non-conference slate without a blemish. Wichita State will visit Southern Illinois on Jan. 2 to kick off Missouri Conference play.
Darius Carter netted 13 points while Tekele Cotton had 10 with a career-high four blocked shots.
Tyler Kalinoski tallied 17 points, six assists and six rebounds in the setback. Tom Droney scored 12 points and De'Mon Brooks and Jake Belford finished with 10 apiece for Davidson (4-9), which has lost four in a row.
Belford shot 3-of-3 off the Wildcats' bench for seven points in the opening 20 minutes to help Davidson, which had four leads for a total of five points, keep pace. The Shockers meanwhile led by as many as seven with 3:56 left on a pair of Baker free throws before Kalinoski's 3 sparked a 10-2 Davidson run.
Wichita State led 36-32 after a balanced first half.
Chris Czerapowicz tied it at 45-all with a 3-pointer in transition out of the initial media timeout of the second half. From there, WSU scored seven straight to regain control.
The Shockers handled their business late, with Fred VanVleet delivering the decisive blow with a trey at 3:48 for a 71-64 edge. Carter and Early then made 1-of-2 each at the line and Baker sank a pair for an 11-point edge.
Davidson's bench outscored Wichita State, 16-10 ... VanVleet had nine points and four steals ... Davidson guard Brian Sullivan, who scored a career-high 33 points in an overtime loss to North Carolina last time out, was held to just eight points on 2-of-10 from the field ... Wichita State is one of just eight unbeaten teams left in Division 1.
- DAVIDSON: 70
WICHITA STATE: 81
Dec 29 5:16 PM
- DAVIDSON: 32
WICHITA STATE: 36
Dec 29 3:56 PM
- DAVIDSON: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 29 3:08 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Notre Dame lights up Wichita State, reaches Elite Eight Mar 27