Napier's triple-double leads UConn past YaleNov 11, 2013 - 11:17 PM
Napier scored 14 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and dished out 10 assists in registering the 10th triple-double in program history.
Niels Giffey came off the bench and shot 5-of-5 from 3-point range in the first half to help UConn (2-0) take a 39-24 lead into halftime. As a team, the Huskies shot 6-of-8 from beyond the arc in the first half and 11-of-17 for the game.
Omar Calhoun finished with a team-high 18 points, shooting 5-of-8 from the field and knocking down 5-of-7 from the free throw line. Ryan Boatright added 14 points, sinking both 3-pointers he attempted while shooting a perfect 6- of-6 from the charity stripe.
Yale (1-1) cut the lead to 66-55 with a 17-7 scoring run, starting with a dunk by Nick Victor with 8:22 remaining and capped by a pair of free throws by Javier Duren with 4:06 left to play.
However, Napier was fouled on a made jump shot on the Huskies' next possession and proceeded to complete the 3-point play by draining the free throw. UConn cruised its way to a victory from there.
Justin Sears posted a double-double for Yale, recording 17 points and 10 rebounds. Duren added 15 points for the Bulldogs, while chipping in four assists and three rebounds.
Yale was able to outrebound UConn by a 22-4 margin on the offensive glass and 43-31 overall during Monday afternoon's matinee matchup.
UConn will next play host to Detroit in a home contest Thursday night. Yale will travel to Rutgers on Thursday night to take on the Scarlet Knights.
The game marked the first meeting between the two teams since the 2003 Preseason NIT ... The Huskies have won 13 straight games versus the Bulldogs and lead the all-time series 44-21 ... Yale's last victory over UConn came back in 1986.
- YALE: 62
Nov 11 5:13 PM
- YALE: 24
Nov 11 3:57 PM
- YALE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 11 3:08 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10