No. 12 Connecticut crushes MaineDec 7, 2013 - 3:58 AM Hartford, CT (SportsNetwork.com) - Ryan Boatright had 17 points and five assists as No. 12 Connecticut routed Maine 95-68 on Friday night.
DeAndre Daniels and Omar Calhoun netted 16 points apiece for UConn (9-0), which moved to 7-0 at home this season.
Xavier Pollard tallied 20 points to lead the Black Bears (1-7).
"We hoped that we could kind of take at least part of their game away, but they're a very balanced offensive basketball team," Maine head coach Ted Woodward said.
Maine hung around for the first eight-plus minutes until a 20-4 Huskies run put them ahead for good.
Calhoun and Lasan Kromah nailed triples to jumpstart the surge, which was capped when Niels Giffey netted the final eight points for a 32-15 UConn cushion.
"It was a little shaky in the beginning there, we let them have a little run. Called a quick timeout and then they focused back up," Huskies head coach Kevin Ollie said.
The Huskies, who shot 56.3 percent (18-of-32) in the first half, headed into the break with a 54-31 cushion. and cruised to the easy triumph over the final 20 minutes.
Giffey finished with 12 points and six boards ... The Huskies outrebounded the Black Bears 38-30 ... UConn was 14-of-25 (56 percent) from beyond the arc.
- MAINE: 68
Dec 6 9:01 PM
- MAINE: 31
Dec 6 8:01 PM
- MAINE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 6 7:08 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4
- Graduate transfers put UConn back in title conversation Oct 27
- UConn preview capsule Oct 27