SMU takes down No. 17 UConnJan 5, 2014 - 6:48 AM Dallas, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Nic Moore scored a game-high 20 points to go along with six assists, and the SMU Mustangs defeated the No. 17 UConn Huskies, 74-65, from newly renovated Moody Coliseum.
Nick Russell finished with 14 points and seven rebounds, while Markus Kennedy chipped in with 10 points off the bench for the Mustangs (11-3, 1-1 AAC).
Ryan Boatright paced UConn (11-3, 0-2) with 15 points, while Shabazz Napier and Lasan Kromah added 12 points apiece in defeat.
SMU jumped out to a 10-4 lead following a three-point play from Yanick Moreira, but the Huskies answered with six straight to tie the game.
Omar Calhoun then made a three-point play that started an 8-0 spurt to give the Huskies an 18-13 lead.
The Mustangs countered with a 12-4 run that Sterling Brown capped with a 3- pointer which helped the hosts to a 25-22 advantage.
Ryan Boatright's 3 with six seconds left in the half staked UConn to a 33-32 lead at the break.
"I thought we were lucky the first half," said SMU coach Larry Brown. "We made shots but I thought we settled a little too much. They got us playing a little too fast."
After the lead changed hands a few times in the opening minutes of the second, UConn went in front with a Niels Giffey layup.
That would be the final lead of the day for the visitors.
Keith Frazier scored five straight for the Mustangs as part of a 7-0 sprint for a 47-41 advantage.
Russell kept the momentum going with a triple from the near corner to help the hosts to a 53-44 lead with seven minutes to play.
The margin stretched to 69-56 following a layup from Kennedy with 2:25 remaining and the Mustangs cruised to the finish.
UConn shot 18-of-49 (36.7 percent) from the field ... SMU outrebounded the Huskies 37-29 ... DeAndre Daniels scored 11 points in the loss ... SMU was 7- for-16 (43.8 percent) from deep.
- CONNECTICUT: 65
SOUTHERN METHODIST: 74
Jan 4 4:10 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
SOUTHERN METHODIST: 32
Jan 4 2:54 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
SOUTHERN METHODIST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 4 2:03 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- 'Oi Oi Oi!': SMU signs 2nd Australian for men's basketball May 2
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Last dance at SMU for Nic Moore won't be in NCAA Tournament Mar 5
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No longer perfect, NCAA-banned No. 13 SMU still AAC leader Jan 29
- SMU player caught up in sanctions plans to transfer Jan 15
- No. 10 SMU seeks 'crazy special' year without NCAA return Jan 12