Harrell lifts Louisville over FairfieldNov 23, 2013 - 10:47 PM Louisville Cardinals to a 71-57 victory over the Fairfield Stags.
Chris Jones scored 15 points, while Wayne Blackshear scored 11 and Russ Smith and 10 points for third-ranked Louisville (5-0), which will face the North Carolina Tar Heels in Sunday's championship game of the Hall of Fame Tip-off.
Maurice Barrow scored 14 points and Marcus Gilbert added 11 points for Fairfield (1-4), which will face Richmond on Sunday.
Through the first 10:03, the two teams seemed to be getting a feel for one another as the score was locked at a 9-point tie. Just under five minutes later each team had doubled or more their points total.
The first ended with the score 37-23 in Louisville' favor. The half saw tight play throughout, the Cardinals finished the half with a 14-point lead after Luke Hancock's layup with eight seconds remaining.
The second half began with the game within reach for Fairfield. Louisville continued to stretch their lead. The Cardinals went up 21 points following a Harrell lay-up with 12:29 left in the second half.
Fairfield went on a 10-2 run that was highlighted by a dunk from Coleman Johnson with 10 minutes remaining, but Louisville would hold on to their lead.
This was the first meeting between the two teams ... Louisville is in the midst of a 21-game winning streak, the longest in program history ... Hancock scored nine points while Chane Behanan contributed eight points and six rebounds.
- LOUISVILLE: 71
Nov 23 4:46 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 37
Nov 23 3:30 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 2:36 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6