Memphis dominates Nicholls StateNov 24, 2013 - 1:35 AM Memphis, TN (SportsNetwork.com) - Freshman big man Austin Nichols turned in the best game of his young career with 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting as the 11th-ranked Memphis Tigers rolled past Nicholls State, 98-59, at FedExForum on Saturday.
Joe Jackson sank 14-of-15 from the foul line en route to 18 points for Memphis, which bounced back after getting routed by Oklahoma State on Tuesday.
Missouri transfer Michael Dixon, Jr. also enjoyed his best game as a Tiger, as the senior hit 5-of-6 shots and all three from behind the arc for 16 points off the bench. Nick King and Chris Crawford added 12 and 11 points, respectively.
Jeremy Smith was the lone Nicholls State (0-4) player in double figures with 16 points. Liam Thomas pulled down nine rebounds in defeat.
Memphis grabbed a quick 16-4 edge on Dixon's three-point play at the 14:09 mark, but Nicholls refused to quit early on. Luke Doyle's steal and 3-pointer in transition midway through the first had the Colonels down just 29-22.
Memphis led by 10 when Nichols sparked a 17-5 run to close out the half. His layups around four Jackson free throws pushed it to 42-24 before the final media timeout. Another Nichols layup and a Jackson three-point play extended the lead to 23 points, and Crawford made it 51-29 at the break with his layup in the final minute.
Geron Johnson's only made field goal came early in the second half following a Colonels' turnover. Shaq Goodwin fed Johnson slashing through the lane and the senior guard finished with authority to set the tone for the rest of the contest.
Memphis shot 52.5 percent from the floor to NSU's 35.9 percent ... Nicholls State has lost by 14 points or more in all four games this season ... Memphis will meet Siena next Thursday in the opening round of the Old Spice Classic.
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- Wisconsin crushes Nicholls Dec 13
- Colonels face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 13