Memphis manages to hold off Arkansas-Little RockDec 14, 2013 - 5:32 AM Memphis, TN (SportsNetwork.com) - Joe Jackson and Shaq Goodwin both recorded 17 points, as 16th-ranked Memphis needed a second-half rally to send down Arkansas-Little Rock, 73-59, in a non-conference clash on Friday.
Geron Johnson contributed 13 points, six rebounds and four assists for the Tigers (7-1), who have won six in a row since their lone loss at Oklahoma State on Nov. 19.
Josh Hagins totaled 17 points and Will Neighbour added 15 for the Trojans (3-6), who hadn't played in 10 days since a 14-point win over Arkansas-Fort Smith.
"I thought overall our guys gave great effort, and they played extremely hard," Arkansas-Little Rock head coach Steve Shields said. "I thought they played well together especially with the ball movement on the court."
Neighbour sank two from the charity stripe and the Trojans led 48-46 with 8:52 remaining, but Memphis asserted itself once and for all from that point.
David Pellom kicked off the game-deciding 21-5 surge with two straight buckets to put the Tigers in front. Goodwin later connected on two straight shots, then Jackson hit from long distance and added two foul shots on the next possession to make it 58-49 with 4:13 to play.
Goodwin capped the burst on two from the line and Memphis assumed a 67-53 edge with 1:42 showing.
"Shaq Goodwin stepped up in the second half and he was a monster," Memphis head Josh Pastner said. "David Pellom gave us great minutes throughout the night."
The hosts started off slowly, falling behind 9-3 in the first six minutes and then 17-5 just past the midway point after Ben Dillard hit 1-of-2 from the line.
Jackson's trey closed the hosts' gap to one at 19-18 with 3:45 left in the first half, but UALR took a 31-24 edge to the break thanks to a shot from beyond the arc by Kemy Osse.
The visitors' edge ballooned to 11, at 39-28, at the 3:20 mark of the second half after a triple from Neighbour.
Memphis has won all five meetings with Arkansas-Little Rock ... The Tigers won the battle of the boards, 41-32.
- ARKANSAS-LITTLE ROCK: 59
Dec 13 10:06 PM
- ARKANSAS-LITTLE ROCK: 31
Dec 13 8:48 PM
- ARKANSAS-LITTLE ROCK: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 13 8:04 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Arkansas-Little Rock hires Beard as men's coach Apr 9
- Arkansas-Little Rock fires men's coach Shields Mar 18
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31