Goodwin, Memphis stomp SEMODec 22, 2013 - 4:48 AM Memphis, TN (SportsNetwork.com) - Shaq Goodwin scored 20 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead No. 15 Memphis to a 77-65 victory over Southeast Missouri State on Saturday at FedExForum.
Joe Jackson supplied 16 points, while Geron Johnson netted 10 for the Tigers (8-2), who bounced back from Tuesday's 77-75 setback against Florida.
"We did a good job defensively out there tonight," Memphis head coach Josh Pastner said. "I think the main thing was that we made them turn the ball over and that really helped us."
Tyler Stone scored a game-high 23 points and pulled down 11 boards, while Jarekious Bradley added 19 points for the Redhawks (7-4), who have lost two straight on the heels of a five-game win streak.
"I thought we did a decent job of stopping their transition offense, but they have really good guards that are very tough to defend," SEMO head coach Dickey Nutt said of Memphis. "They do a great job of playing together, really playing for each other. They really opened up the game with their penetration."
Stone tallied the first seven points of a 9-2 Redhawks' push that brought the team within 32-30 late in the first half, but the Tigers scored the final six points of the frame to take an eight-point edge into the break.
With the margin at six, 44-38, early in the second half, Memphis used a 10-2 surge that David Pellom capped with 1-of-2 from the line to make it 54-40 with 13:14 left in the game.
An Antonius Cleveland layup with 7:43 to play cut the margin to seven, but a quick 7-0 sprint from the Tigers increased the spread to 69-55 with just over six minutes remaining.
SEMO failed to get closer than 10 the rest of the way.
The teams traded buckets for much of the first half, with neither team building a lead bigger than five until late in the stanza, when Jackson scored the final six points of an 8-0 Memphis run that made it 30-21 with 5:04 left in the opening period.
Memphis shot 50 percent (31-of-62) from the floor, despite a woeful 2-of-17 mark from 3-point range ... The Redhawks turned the ball over 19 times, compared to just eight turnovers from the Tigers ... SEMO shot 45 percent (27- of-60) from the field.
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE: 65
Dec 21 9:59 PM
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE: 30
Dec 21 8:55 PM
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 8:07 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- No. 11 Wichita State beats Memphis Nov 18
- Memphis opens season against No. 11 Wichita State Nov 18