Marquette holds off New HampshireNov 22, 2013 - 6:48 AM Milwaukee, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Chris Otule scored 16 points as 25th- ranked Marquette held on for a 58-53 win over upset-minded New Hampshire on Thursday.
Todd Mayo also had 16 points and Jamil Wilson tallied nine points, four rebounds, three steals and three blocks for the Golden Eagles (3-1), who bounced back from a 17-point loss to then-No. 10 Ohio State on Saturday.
"We have to get back to how we laid the foundation in the time we've been here and how we've built the foundation in the time we've been here, because somewhere along the way -- and I'm at the front of the line -- there has become a disconnect in how we function," Marquette coach Buzz Williams said of his team's shaky play this season.
Patrick Konan scored 14 points and Daniel Dion added 11 for the Wildcats (2-2), losers in two straight.
Jake Thomas nailed a trey with just under six minutes left to put Marquette up 48-38, but UNH would not back down.
Jordan Bronner and Thomas exchanged treys and Davante Gardner split a pair of free throws for an 11-point edge, but Konan canned a 3-pointer to make it 52-44.
Otule split a pair from the charity stripe and Konan had a crafty move to the basket to make it 53-46 with 1:23 left.
After Wilson was called for traveling, Bronner nailed a triple to make it a four-point game.
Marquette made three of their next four free throws for a 56-50 lead and the Wildcats had a chance to cut the lead in half, but Tommy McDonnell misfired a contested trey and Wilson split a pair of free throws for a 57-50 lead.
Dion hit a deep trey with seven seconds left to make it a four-point game, but a Wilson free throw sealed the win for the Golden Eagles.
Marquette went up 21-5 12 1/2 minutes in and took a 25-18 lead into the break.
Marquette shot just 32.7 percent (17-for-52) and went 21-for-34 from the free throw line ... The Golden Eagles also struggled from long range, connecting on just 3-of-22 3-point attempts ... Bronner finished with 10 points for UNH.
- NEW HAMPSHIRE: 53
Nov 21 10:14 PM
- NEW HAMPSHIRE: 18
Nov 21 8:57 PM
- NEW HAMPSHIRE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 8:07 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- New Hampshire rolls over Worcester State 100-66 Dec 8
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3