Sibert shoots Dayton past No. 11 GonzagaNov 26, 2013 - 12:04 PM Maui, HI (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordan Sibert poured in 23 points on 5-of-8 shooting from behind the arc to lead Dayton to a 84-79 win over 11th-ranked Gonzaga in the opening round of the Maui Invitational.
Dyshawn Pierre scored 15 points and pulled down nine rebounds and Devin Oliver added 12 points for the Flyers (5-0), who will play No. 18 Baylor on Tuesday in the semifinals.
Kevin Pangos poured in a game-high 27 points and Sam Dower added 18 points and seven rebounds for the Bulldogs (4-1), who will face Chaminade in the consolation bracket on Tuesday.
Dayton trailed 37-28 at the break, but opened the second half with a 15-6 burst to tie the game at 43-43.
The sides traded baskets from there until Dower and Pangos buried back-to-back jumpers for a 51-48 lead.
Smith then nailed a 3-pointer and Pierre's layup gave the Flyers a 53-51 lead with just under 12 minutes to go.
Kendall Pollard stretched Dayton's lead to 58-54 before a Khari Price trey put the Flyers in front 65-60.
Gary Bell Jr. countered with a tough triple from the right wing to make it 65-63 with 6 1/2 minutes left, but Oliver went 4-for-4 from the free thrown line and Sibert nailed a 3-pointer for a 72-63 advantage with 3:46 showing.
Pangos brought the Bulldogs within 73-68 before Bell's layup made it a one possession game at the 2:22 mark.
The sides traded free throws until another Sibert 3 put the Flyers ahead 78-72. Pangos, though, scored the next five points of the game to pull Gonzaga within one.
After Pangos fouled out on the next play, Pierce knocked down two free throws, but Gerard Coleman kept Gonzaga alive with a layup five seconds later.
Pierce made two more from the charity stripe before Kyle Dranginis missed a 3- pointer, and Price put the game out of reach with a pair of free throws.
Coleman's layup just over six minutes in gave the Bulldogs a 16-8 lead, but back-to-back baskets from the Flyers made it a 16-12 game. A pair of free throws, followed by a trey from Pangos put Gonzaga ahead 21-12.
Coleman's three-point play late in the half made it 37-23, but Dayton scored the final five points of the half to pull within nine at the break.
Dayton dominated the glass, outrebounding Gonzaga 40-29 ... Price scored 11 points for Dayton ... Gonzaga was 5-for-19 from 3-point range ... David Stockton had seven assists for the Bulldogs.
- DAYTON: 84
Nov 26 2:19 AM
- DAYTON: 28
Nov 26 1:05 AM
- DAYTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 26 12:08 AM
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Coach Mark Few wants Gonzaga to keep chip on its shoulder Mar 23
- Wiltjer helps deliver Gonzaga back to Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Zags: Gonzaga moves on with 68-52 victory over Seton Hall Mar 18
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Gordon making history, but in a quiet way, for Seton Hall Mar 17