Dayton sends Saint Louis to 3rd straight lossMar 6, 2014 - 5:46 AM St. Louis, MO (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordan Sibert scored 14 points and the Dayton Flyers upset the 17th-ranked Saint Louis Billikens, 72-67, on Wednesday night.
Dyshawn Pierre tallied 11 points and Jalen Robinson deposited 10 points for Dayton (21-9, 9-6 A-10), which has won eight of its last nine games.
Dwayne Evans led all scorers with 18 points, while Mike McCall Jr. chipped in 10 points for the Billikens (25-5, 12-3), who dropped their third straight game following a school record 19-game winning streak.
Saint Louis, which hadn't lost three in a row since a four-game slide in February 2011, still won at least a share of the Atlantic 10 regular season championship and the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament because Saint Joseph's, which is one game back in the standings, lost at George Washington on Wednesday night.
The Billikens can take sole possession of the crown with a win on the road against the Minutemen of UMass on Sunday.
Evans tipped in a McCall miss to give the Billikens a 57-52 lead with under eight minutes to play in the contest. Robinson then hit a 3 to ignite a 16-2 surge.
Sibert nailed a 3 before Robinson hit another trey and Devin Oliver capped the spurt with a three-point play to stake the Flyers to a 68-59 lead.
Saint Louis slowly crept back into the game with its stifling defense, as Evans capped an 8-0 run with a layup to cut the deficit to one with 34 seconds left.
The Billikens immediately fouled Khari Price, who knocked down both free throws to make it a three-point game.
Rob Loe missed a 3-pointer at the other end, but Jake Barnett corralled the offensive rebound to keep the outright title hopes alive. Following a timeout, Barnett received a nice look from the top of the key, but his attempt hit off the front of the iron.
McCall grabbed the offensive rebound with 6.2 seconds left. Instead of swinging the ball back to the 3-point line for an attempt at a tie, McCall put up an off-balanced jumper from the elbow that was off the mark and Sibert hit two free throws in the closing seconds to seal it.
Dayton had dropped seven of the last nine games against Saint Louis entering the contest ... The Billikens can tie a school record of 13 conference wins with a victory on Sunday ... Oliver finished with nine points and nine boards ... Dayton shot 6-of-16 from 3-point range, while Saint Louis shot a meager 6- of-22 from deep ... Dayton outscored the Billikens, 10-0, on the fastbreak.
- DAYTON: 72
ST. LOUIS: 67
Mar 5 11:19 PM
- DAYTON: 32
ST. LOUIS: 39
Mar 5 10:00 PM
- DAYTON: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 5 9:14 PM
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Graham leads VCU past Dayton for A-10 crown Mar 15
- VCU seeks redemption in A-10 title game Mar 15