Cook, Parker carry Duke over MichiganDec 4, 2013 - 5:39 AM Durham, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Quinn Cook scored all 24 of his points in the second half and dished out nine assists to power 10th-ranked Duke to a 79-69 win over No. 22 Michigan as part of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
Jabari Parker added 15 points and Rodney Hood scored 14 for the Blue Devils (7-2), who have won an NCAA-best 107 straight non-conference home games. Duke's last home loss against a non-conference opponent was an 83-82 decision against St. John's on Feb. 26, 2000.
Duke bounced back from a 72-66 loss against Arizona on Friday in the NIT Season Tip-Off championship game.
Caris LeVert equaled a career-best with 24 points for Michigan (5-3), which also received 15 points and 14 rebounds from Mitch McGary.
Sophomore guard Nik Stauskas, who entered the game leading the Wolverines with over 20 points a game, was limited to four points. Stauskas, who sat out the last game due to an ankle injury, missed both of his shots from the field.
"It was a great plan," Michigan coach John Beilein said of Duke's defensive scheme on Stauskas. "They really tried to keep Stauskas' touches very low, not let him get into a rhythm."
A 3-pointer from Spike Albrecht cut Michigan's deficit to 12-9 with 9:33 left in the first half, but the Blue Devils netted the following nine points. Hood blocked a layup attempt from Jon Horford and Parker scored at the other end to cap the burst.
Tyler Thornton's 3-ball finished the half to widen Duke's lead to 32-22.
A pair of free throws from LeVert brought Michigan within 46-40 with 9:01 left, but Andre Dawkins drained a pair from beyond the arc to start a game- sealing 11-2 burst for the Blue Devils.
"Quinn was magnificent the whole game," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "Even though he didn't score in the first half, he managed the team well. We told him to be very aggressive in the second half. He was and he was 10-for-10 from the line, which sews up the game."
Duke leads the all-time series with the Wolverines, 22-8 ... The Blue Devils are 13-2 all-time in Big Ten/ACC Challenge play, including a 6-0 mark at Cameron Indoor Stadium ... Michigan shot 56.7 percent from the field in the second half after being held to 30.8 percent in the opening 20 minutes.
- MICHIGAN: 69
Dec 3 11:25 PM
- MICHIGAN: 22
Dec 3 10:11 PM
- MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 9:24 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1