Niang scores 22 as Iowa State tops George MasonDec 23, 2013 - 3:35 AM Honolulu, HI (SportsNetwork.com) - Georges Niang netted 22 points and No. 17 Iowa State defeated George Mason, 79-67, in the quarterfinals of the Diamond Head Classic.
Dustin Hogue had 17 points and nine rebounds, while Melvin Ejim added 14 points and 11 boards for the Cyclones (9-0), who will play Akron in the semifinals on Monday.
Iowa State was one of 10 unbeaten Division I teams heading into Sunday.
Patrick Holloway scored 19 points and Bryon Allen chipped in 14 points, five rebounds and four assists for George Mason (5-5), which has dropped three straight and five of its last six.
The Cyclones trailed 25-24 with 5:40 left in the first half before going on a 10-2 run.
DeAndre Kane split a pair of free throws before hitting a 3. Ejim then put in a pair of layups, sandwiched around a Marko Gujanicic jumper, and Hogue capped the swing with a layup for a 34-27 Iowa State cushion.
The Cyclones headed into the break with a 34-29 advantage and they opened up a double-digit spread when Niang forced a steal then finished a layup in transition to make it 40-30 with 16:53 left.
Allen's jumper whittled the deficit to 56-51 with 6:19 to go, but Niang made a layup, Hogue split a pair of free throws and Ejim put in a layup to again push the lead to double figures.
George Mason never got within five again.
Iowa State shot 45.6 percent (26-of-57) from the floor ... The Cyclones outrebounded the Patriots, 36-30 ... Kane had 13 points, eight assists and seven rebounds.
- IOWA STATE: 79
GEORGE MASON: 67
Dec 22 7:36 PM
- IOWA STATE: 34
GEORGE MASON: 29
Dec 22 6:19 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
GEORGE MASON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 5:35 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18