Jett helps Saint Louis slip past George WashingtonFeb 23, 2014 - 5:48 AM St. Louis, MO (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordair Jett had 16 points and No. 10 Saint Louis defeated George Washington, 66-59, on Saturday night.
Rob Loe tallied 12 points and nine rebounds, while star forward Dwayne Evans battled foul trouble and netted just four points on just 2-of-3 shooting for the Billikens (25-2, 12-0 A-10), who have won 19 in a row.
"These kids, they're resilient," SLU head coach Jim Crews said. "They can take a hit, and we took some hits, because they keep hitting and keep competing and made some big plays."
Joe McDonald provided 21 points and Kevin Larsen contributed 14 points and 11 boards for George Washington (20-7, 8-5), which has dropped three of its last four.
Saint Louis led by as many as 14 in the second half, but Patricio Garino netted seven points during a 14-2 GW surge, which Maurice Creek capped with a jumper to tie the game at 50-50 a little past the midway point of the frame.
The Billikens answered back with the next eight as Mike McCall's layup gave them a 58-50 cushion with 4:43 remaining.
Jake Barnett's triple less than two minutes later extended the margin to 62-52, but McDonald scored seven straight points and his trey cut the gap to 62-59 with 1:25 to go.
McDonald and Garino missed potential game-tying 3-pointers over the next two GW possessions and two Austin McBroom free throws with 20 seconds left sealed the outcome.
Saint Louis built a 39-27 advantage heading into the break.
Saint Louis shot 48 percent (24-of-50) from the floor, while GW finished 32.8 percent (20-of-61) from the field ... Creek had just five points on 2-of-12 shooting and 0-of-5 from beyond the arc.
- GEORGE WASHINGTON: 59
ST. LOUIS: 66
Feb 22 10:10 PM
- GEORGE WASHINGTON: 27
ST. LOUIS: 39
Feb 22 8:55 PM
- GEORGE WASHINGTON: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 22 8:05 PM
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7