Paige pushes UNC past RichmondNov 23, 2013 - 9:52 PM North Carolina Tar Heels held off the Richmond Spiders, 82-72, in the semifinals of the Hall Of Fame Tip-off.
Brice Johnson added 24 points and 12 rebounds for the Tar Heels (3-1), who will take on defending national champion Louisville in Sunday's championship game.
North Carolina bounced back from a loss to Belmont last Sunday.
"Everything was working," Johnson said. "Just came out there with energy and came prepared to play."
Cedrick Lindsay ended with 29 points for the Spiders (3-2), who got 13 points from Kendall Anthony.
Trailing 17-8, North Carolina went on a 9-0 run to tie the game. Paige made a 3-pointer during the spurt that Johnson capped with a jumper.
The Tar Heels scored the final six points of the first half to take a 36-33 lead.
"I liked the toughness of our team at the end of the first half," UNC head coach Roy Williams said. "Things weren't going that well but we made a pretty nice run the last five or six minutes of the first half."
The margin reached seven, 47-40, on Paige's 3-pointer with 15:43 to play.
But the Spiders failed to go away and a quick 6-0 spurt tied the contest at 51.
Holding a 66-62 lead with about four minutes remaining, North Carolina went on an 8-0 run to create some distance. Paige made a shot from beyond the arc during the flurry that Jackson Simmons capped with two free throws for a 74-62 edge.
Richmond never got closer than seven the rest of the way.
North Carolina leads the all-time series by a 15-2 margin ... The Tar Heels went 26-of-37 from the foul line, while Richmond went 21-of-29 from the charity stripe ... The Spiders turned the ball over 17 times.
- RICHMOND: 72
NORTH CAROLINA: 82
Nov 23 2:08 PM
- RICHMOND: 33
NORTH CAROLINA: 36
Nov 23 12:54 PM
- RICHMOND: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 12:06 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Paige's shot returns in time for Tar Heels' Final Four run Mar 29