Frazier, UAB knock off No. 16 UNCDec 2, 2013 - 6:49 AM Birmingham, AL (SportsNetwork.com) - UAB was able to hold off a ranked opponent this time.
Chad Frazier had 25 points and the Blazers defeated No. 16 North Carolina 63-59 on Sunday night.
UAB (5-2) was unable to take down then-ranked New Mexico in the quarterfinals of the Charleston Classic on Nov. 21 after holding a five-point advantage with 36 seconds in regulation and a six-point margin midway through the first extra session. The Lobos won 97-94 in double overtime.
It's a huge win for us. It's a huge opportunity to capitalize on this," UAB head coach Jerod Haase said.
Marcus Paige's potentially game-tying 3-pointer from the right corner with nine seconds remaining was blocked by the Blazers' Robert Williams and UAB sunk 3-of-4 from the foul line in the waning seconds to seal the win.
Rod Rucker netted 11 points and Fahro Alihodzic pulled down 13 rebounds for the Blazers, who improved to 6-0 at home this season.
J.P. Tokoto scored 16 points to lead UNC (4-2), which went 1-of-12 from beyond the arc.
"It was hard for us to handle Chad Frazier's penetration," UNC head coach Roy Williams said.
UAB led 37-25 at the break and 39-25 in the early stages of the second half before Tokoto jumpstarted a 21-10 UNC run when he slammed home a Nate Britt alley-oop in transition.
Tokoto's jumper and seventh point of the surge capped it and pulled the Tar Heels within 49-46 with 6:44 remaining.
Later, Paige's three-point play cut the UNC gap to 58-57 and Frazier knocked down a pair of foul shots with 35 ticks left to make it 60-57. Paige missed an open triple from the right wing, but Alihodzic fouled James Michael McAdoo on the rebound. Williams then converged on Paige in the right corner and was able to deflect the shot.
The Blazers outrebounded the Tar Heels 52-37 ... UAB shot just 30.6 percent (19-of-62) from the floor ... UNC was 4-of-11 (36.4 percent) from the foul line.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 59
Dec 1 8:15 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 25
Dec 1 6:59 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 6:13 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2