No. 9 Orange cruise past ColgateNov 17, 2013 - 1:14 AM
Tyler Ennis drained four 3-pointers and Trevor Cooney had 10 points for Syracuse (3-0), which registered its 48th consecutive win over Colgate despite shooting just 36.8 percent. The Orange were also shaky at the free-throw line, converting only 12-of-28 attempts.
"You can't miss 16 free throws, we missed three dunks and we missed three other layups. You have to capitalize on those things," said Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.
Ethan Jacobs led the Raiders (0-2) with 13 points. No other Colgate player scored more than nine.
Fair carried the Orange in the early stages, scoring 11 of the team's first 13 points, but Colgate was giving Syracuse all it could handle. Up by five at one time in the opening minutes, the Raiders led 18-15 when Damon Sherman-Newsome drained a 3-pointer with just over nine minutes left.
The Raiders then went cold and the Orange seized control by going on a 15-0 run. Michael Gbinije sank three free throws to conclude the burst that made it 30-18 with 5:40 remaining.
Syracuse held a 10-point lead at halftime after Jacobs banked in a deep 3- pointer at the buzzer to trim Colgate's deficit to 36-26.
The Orange looked to be on the verge of pulling away following the break. Cooney stole the ball and was fouled on a subsequent dunk. He made the free throw to extended Syracuse's advantage to 49-31 ahead of the five-minute mark.
Colgate threatened to close the gap to single digits, but Sherman-Newsome and Clayton Graham both missed shots with the score 51-40.
Syracuse then pushed its lead to 20 at 61-41 on a Tyler Roberson layup with 6:46 to go.
This marked the 166th meeting between Syracuse and Colgate, the longest running series for both schools. The Orange improved to 121-45 against the Raiders, whose last win came in 1962 ... Colgate played a second straight ACC opponent this year after losing its season-opener to Wake Forest on Nov. 8 ... Syracuse owned a 52-34 rebounding edge ... Gbinije had 11 points, six boards and three assists.
- COLGATE: 50
Nov 16 6:31 PM
- COLGATE: 26
Nov 16 5:25 PM
- COLGATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 4:37 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25