No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. FrancisNov 19, 2013 - 4:01 AM Syracuse, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - Michael Gbinije's layup off a Jerami Grant steal broke a tie with about a minute remaining and ninth-ranked Syracuse survived for a 56-50 win over upset-minded St. Francis (N.Y.).
Gbinije's bucket was part of the Orange's game-ending 10-0 run.
The Terriers, bidding for their first-ever win over a top-10 team, were shut out after a Wayne Martin free throw gave them a 50-46 lead with 4:10 left.
DaJuan Coleman made all five of his field goals and matched his career high with 14 points to lead Syracuse (4-0), which shot just 35.3 percent, including 26.3 percent (5-of-19) over the final 20 minutes. Grant had 13 points and eight rebounds.
"It's a very, very difficult game and I think it will help us," said Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim. "I think we can learn some things from this to help us going forward. We certainly have got a lot of work to do and that's not a surprise."
This game was the Maui Invitational opener for the Orange, who will next play in Hawaii against Minnesota on Nov. 25.
Jalen Cannon scored 16 points with eight boards and Martin added 13 points for the Terriers (2-2).
Down four at the break, St. Francis began the second half on a 9-2 run to go up 35-32.
Syracuse didn't reclaim the lead until Gbinije's layup. Grant then sank two free throws off a St. Francis turnover. Ben Mockford missed a 3-pointer on the next Terriers possession, and C.J. Fair clinched the win at the foul line.
Fair, who shot a dismal 2-of-13, nailed a jumper to cap an early 10-0 Syracuse burst, and a Grant layup made it 22-14 with 6:27 left. The Orange led 30-26 at halftime.
Trevor Cooney had 12 points and three steals for Syracuse ... Fair had seven points, six rebounds and two blocks ... St. Francis shot 41.9 percent ... The Orange has won all four meetings with the Terriers.
- ST. FRANCIS NY: 50
Nov 18 9:29 PM
- ST. FRANCIS NY: 26
Nov 18 8:12 PM
- ST. FRANCIS NY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 7:33 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25