Huge second-half run lifts No. 2 Orange past High PointDec 21, 2013 - 4:35 AM Syracuse, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - Trevor Cooney had 17 points, while Tyler Ennis tallied 10 points, nine assists and five steals as No. 2 Syracuse topped High Point, 75-54, at the Carrier Dome.
The Orange (11-0) led just 37-34 at the break, but outscored the Panthers (3-7) 38-20 in the second half to turn the game into a rout.
"We were up by three because our defense wasn't there," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said of the first half. "The second half our defense was just better."
C.J. Fair added 15 points for Syracuse, which moved to 7-0 at home this season.
Devante Wallace was the only Panther in double figures with 10 points. His jumper with 16:44 left gave High Point a 40-39 edge, but Syracuse responded with an elongated 28-3 run to seize control of the contest.
Cooney nailed a pair of triples while Ennis and Fair also netted six points during the surge, which was capped on a Rakeem Christmas jumper for a 67-43 Orange advantage with under six minutes to play.
Earlier, Syracuse raced out to a 13-4 start, but the Panthers used a 15-5 swing later on to knot the tilt at 24-24 with 5:40 remaining in the opening half.
Syracuse shot 53.7 percent (29-of-54) from the floor and 53.8 percent (7- of-13) from beyond the arc ... The Orange had 12 steals.
- HIGH POINT: 54
Dec 20 8:50 PM
- HIGH POINT: 34
Dec 20 7:46 PM
- HIGH POINT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 20 7:04 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25