Baylor kicks off season by dispatching ColoradoNov 9, 2013 - 5:56 AM Dallas, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Cory Jefferson had 13 points and 11 rebounds as the 25th-ranked Baylor Bears started the season with a 72-60 victory over the Colorado Buffaloes at American Airlines Arena.
Kenny Chery added 14 points for the Bears (1-0), who went 23-14 and captured the NIT title last season. Gary Franklin tallied nine points on 3-of-6 shooting from long distance.
Josh Scott ended with 15 points and 11 rebounds for the Buffaloes (0-1), who went 21-12 and lost to Illinois in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.
Trailing 19-12, the Buffaloes scored five straight points to get within two.
But the Bears responded with an 11-3 run to create some distance before the half. Isaiah Austin capped the flurry with a jumper, making it 30-20 with 38 seconds remaining.
Scott made a jumper with four seconds left to get Colorado within eight at the break.
The Buffaloes never got closer than six in the second half.
Despite the loss, Colorado leads the all-time series with Baylor, 16-11 ... The Buffaloes shot just 33.3 percent from the floor and went 2-of-19 from beyond the arc ... Spencer Dinwiddie and Askia Booker each had 10 points for Colorado.
- COLORADO: 60
Nov 9 12:04 AM
- COLORADO: 22
Nov 8 10:54 PM
- COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 8 10:13 PM
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Anglin scores 20, Northern Colorado tops Montana State 78-76 Jan 16
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Boyle, Buffs look to rebound from disappointing season Oct 28
- Colorado Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Colorado's Xavier Johnson tears Achilles Jun 25
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19