Baylor cruises past Oral RobertsDec 31, 2013 - 7:41 AM Waco, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Cory Jefferson scored all 17 of his points in the second half as the ninth-ranked Baylor Bears capped 2013 with an 81-55 rout of Oral Roberts from Ferrell Center.
Taurean Prince and Isaiah Austin carried the scoring load in the first half, combining for 25 of Baylor's 36 points in the opening 20 minutes. Prince finished with 16 off the bench and Austin had 15 as Baylor (11-1) finished December unbeaten for the fifth time in the last seven years.
"The first five minutes of the game, we weren't really moving, and we weren't very active. Then, we turned around and played thirty-five minutes of very good basketball," Baylor head coach Scott Drew said.
Shawn Glover led all scorers with 22 points for Oral Roberts (6-7), which has lost four of five. Denell Henderson contributed 16 points with a team-high eight rebounds, while the rest of the Golden Eagles scored just 17 points on 6-of-32 shooting.
"Baylor is a very good team and I thought they played well tonight. It is a tough matchup for us," ORU head coach Scott Sutton said.
Baylor went the first 5:46 without a field goal, but Oral Roberts managed just seven points during that stretch. Kenny Chery finally broke the seal for the Bears with a 3, and Baylor went in front two trips later after Brady Heslip's shot from the arc.
Prince and Austin combined for the next 20 Baylor points as the hosts built a 28-15 lead. Chery's 3-pointer was followed by another five points -- three from Austin, two from Prince -- and the Bears took a 36-25 edge into the break.
Jefferson, who spent most of the first half on the bench in foul trouble, made his presence felt with the first six Baylor points of the second.
Ish Wainright and Rico Gathers made layups on the front and back ends of a 9-0 Baylor surge midway through the period to make it 59-38.
The Bears coasted from there.
Baylor won its 11th straight game at Ferrell Center to match the second longest arena winning streak in school history ... Baylor improved to 5-0 all- time against Oral Roberts ... Jefferson moved into fourth place on Baylor's all-time blocked shots list with 134 ... Jefferson reached double figures in scoring for the 10th straight game ... Gathers had 10 points and 10 boards ... Oral Roberts shot 1-of-13 from the arc.
- ORAL ROBERTS: 55
Dec 30 9:53 PM
- ORAL ROBERTS: 25
Dec 30 8:50 PM
- ORAL ROBERTS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 30 8:06 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6