Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah StateJan 4, 2014 - 4:16 AM Waco, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Taurean Prince poured in 15 points off the bench to lead a balanced Baylor scoring attack, as the ninth-ranked Bears cruised past Savannah State, 80-50, on Friday at Ferrell Center.
Cory Jefferson supplied 13 points, seven rebounds and three blocks, while Isaiah Austin and Rico Gathers each added 11 points for the Bears (12-1), who notched their 12th straight home victory, good for the second-longest home win streak in school history.
"We don't take anyone for granted," Jefferson said. "We knew coming into the game that we needed to play like we've been playing all year and worry about the next game afterward."
Joshua Montgomery made four 3-pointers en route to a team-high 15 points for the Tigers (2-12), who have dropped 10 straight games.
"[Baylor is] every bit of what their rankings are," Savannah State head coach Horace Broadnax said of the Bears. "They have a lot of different weapons to hurt you with and they are just huge and big."
After Khiry White opened the game with a jumper to give the Tigers their first and only lead, Gary Franklin drilled a triple at the other end, sparking a 11-2 Baylor run that Jefferson capped with a trey for an 11-4 lead.
Austin netted the final four points of a 9-0 surge later in the frame that increased Baylor's cushion to 32-17 with 7:20 left in the first half.
The Bears carried a 46-30 advantage into the break before scoring the first five points of the second half to push the spread to 21 points.
Savannah State briefly got within 15 following a Alante Fenner jumper just before the midpoint of the half, but Gathers supplied seven points in a 9-0 surge that gave the Bears a 66-42 lead with 8:14 to play.
The difference never dipped below 20 the rest of the way as the Bears cruised to victory down the stretch.
Baylor's longest home win streak at Ferrell Center is 15 games, set from Feb. 3, 2010-Jan. 11, 2011 ... Baylor opens Big 12 play at Iowa State on Tuesday ... The Bears improved to 14-0 all-time against teams from the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference ... The Tigers open MEAC play at home against Maryland- Eastern Shore on Monday ... Jefferson has scored in double figures in a career-best 11 straight games.
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Texas fights off No. 14 Baylor in OT Mar 2