No. 17 Iowa State outlasts Northern Iowa in overtimeDec 8, 2013 - 6:52 AM Des Moines, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang scored 22 points apiece to lead the 17th-ranked Iowa State Cyclones to a 91-82 overtime victory over Northern Iowa.
DeAndre Kane scored 18 points with 11 rebounds, while Dustin Hogue added 17 points and 14 rebounds for Iowa State (7-0), which will host its rival Iowa on Friday.
Nate Buss scored 23 points and grabbed seven rebounds, Wes Washpun added 18 points and Seth Tuttle contributed 14 points to go along with 10 rebounds for the Panthers (3-5), who will host Savannah State Tuesday.
Tuttle banked in a three pointer with 1.3 seconds left to tie the game 71-71 and take it to overtime.
Iowa State led the entire overtime period but the Panthers kept it close early on in the stanza. After a pair of free throws from Washpun, Northern Iowa came within a point, 76-75, with 2:35 to play. The Cyclones were able to shake the pesky Panthers by going on a 9-0 run which put the game away.
Iowa State trailed 49-31 early in the second half but locked down defensively and proceeded to use 23-2 run to grab the lead for the first time since there was 16:18 left in the first half.
Buss ended the run as he scored five consecutive points as part of a 7-0 run to put the Panthers up 58-54 with 7:29 to play.
Later, Iowa State came back and Ejim drained a three pointer to take the lead, 60-59, with 5:17 to play. The Cyclones remained in the front until the three pointer by Tuttle to take the game to overtime.
In the first half, the teams stayed within three points of one another until a Buss jumper with 15:52 left sparked a 12-0 run to make the score 22-9.
Iowa State, however, responded with a 10-0 run of its own which Matt Thomas capped off with a three-pointer coming with 8:39 to play.
Buss then sparked a 15-3 Panther run, which started 11:40 into the first half. The run ended with a Deon Mitchell three pointer and put Northern Iowa up by 15 points.
Northern Iowa finished the half strong and carried a 42-29 advantage into the locker room.
The Cyclones lead the series 36-12 all-time ... Iowa State is 7-0 for the first time since 2003-04 ... Northern Iowa made 10-of-19 from the free throw line and the Cyclones shot 22-of-33 from the charity stripe ... Deon Mitchell scored 13 points and Jeremy Morgan added 10 points and seven rebounds for Northern Iowa.
- IOWA STATE: 91
NORTHERN IOWA: 82
Final - OT
Dec 7 8:29 PM
- IOWA STATE: 71
NORTHERN IOWA: 71
End of Regulation
Dec 7 8:11 PM
- IOWA STATE: 29
NORTHERN IOWA: 42
Dec 7 6:55 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
NORTHERN IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 7 6:11 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21