Iowa State blows through Northern IllinoisJan 1, 2014 - 6:32 AM Ames, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - Melvin Ejim and Naz Long each scored 17 points as No. 13 Iowa State routed Northern Illinois, 99-63, on Tuesday.
DeAndre Kane nearly recorded a triple-double as the Marshall transfer scored 16 points with 12 assists and eight rebounds for Iowa State (12-0).
Georges Niang scored 14 points, while Dustin Hogue and Monte Morris chipped in with 11 points apiece in the win.
"We wanted to start out fast and jump on them," said Kane. "We wanted to push tempo and get guys open looks."
Dontel Highsmith led all scorers with 19 points for Northern Illinois (5-6), which had a two-game winning streak snapped.
Travon Baker finished with 12 points and was the only other player in double figures for the Huskies.
A pair of Darrell Bowie free throws pulled the visitors within two, 7-5, three minutes into the contest.
Ejim then made back-to-back buckets to ignite a 19-2 run in which the Cyclones took total control of the contest with a 26-7 advantage. Niang scored the final five points of the spurt that was capped with a three-point play.
A pair of Highsmith free throws capped an 8-2 stretch that cut the deficit to 45-31 with 4:04 to play in the opening half, but the Cyclones outscored the visitors 10-3 for the remainder of the frame to take a 21-point lead at the break.
The Iowa State lead flared to 68-41 following a jumper from Kane that capped an 8-0 run with 14:52 to go in the second.
Morris then scored six straight later in the half for a 77-48 Cyclones advantage.
The final margin was the largest lead of the game for the hosts.
Iowa State opens up Big-12 play at Texas Tech on Saturday ... The Cyclones shot 37-of-63 (58.7 percent) from the field and held the Huskies to 22-of-68 (32.4 percent) ... Iowa State tallied 28 assists compared to 11 from NIU ... The Huskies did, however, outrebounded Iowa State 46-36.
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18