No. 14 VCU pulls away from WinthropNov 17, 2013 - 2:53 AM Richmond, VA (SportsNetwork.com) - Briante Weber led six VCU players with 16 points to lead the 14th-ranked Rams to a 92-71 win over Winthrop.
Treveon Graham totaled 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Rams (3-0), who escaped with a 59-56 win over No. 25 Virginia Tuesday night thanks to his 3- pointer with 1.1 seconds left. Rob Brandenberg, Juvonte Reddic and JeQuan Lewis each scored 11 points in Saturday night's contest, while Mo Alie-Cox had 10.
Andre Smith had 15 points for the Eagles (2-1), who also received 11 points apiece from James Bourne and Keon Johnson.
Winthrop gave the Rams all they could handle for the first 20 minutes, but VCU pulled away down the stretch.
Tevin Prescott's layup had the visitors within 54-50 just over five minutes into the second half. Lewis' layup, though, capped an ensuing 11-2 spurt, and VCU's lead was at least eight points the rest of the way.
VCU salted away the win with a 10-2 burst later in the half, with a Lewis free throw expanding the margin to 81-65 inside five minutes remaining.
Bourne's layup in the final minute of the first half had Winthrop within 45-41 at the break.
Weber went 10-of-11 at the foul line, part of a 34-of-48 effort for the Rams ... VCU held a 43-27 rebounding advantage ... Weber had five of his team's 19 steals.
- WINTHROP: 71
Nov 16 9:28 PM
- WINTHROP: 41
Nov 16 7:59 PM
- WINTHROP: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 7:19 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10