Marquette beats Grambling State 114-71Nov 13, 2013 - 5:11 AM Milwaukee, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Chris Otule scored 17 points to lead No. 17 Marquette to a 114-71 victory over Grambling State on Tuesday.
Steve Taylor added 16 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and had four assists and Deonte Burton scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds for the Golden Eagles (2-0), who won their 27th consecutive game at the Bradley Center.
"I thought our concentration level was as good as it's been in a long time," Marquette head coach Buzz Williams said.
Marquette will prepare for a big matchup Saturday at home against 10th-ranked Ohio State.
Tigers reserve Chandler Thomas led all scorers with 26 points and also tied the game high with 11 rebounds. A'Torri Shine pitched in with 17 points for Grambling State (0-2), which has lost 30 straight.
"We just knew we were up against a tough team," Grambling State head coach Joseph Price admitted. "They're very physical. Their physicality really hurt us, but we played hard the whole game."
Marquette opened the game with a 32-9 run over the first 11:41.
The Tigers finished the final eight minutes of the first half strong as they scored 26 points compared to 20 for Marquette. Thomas led the Tigers with 14 points in the half, six of which came with a minute and a half left off a pair of 3-pointers.
The Golden Eagles led 52-35 at the half and came out strong again to start the second. Marquette started with a 19-2 run to take the score to 71-37 five minutes into the half, and the Eagles cruised from there.
Jake Thomas, Juan Anderson and Jamil Wilson scored 11 points apiece for the Golden Eagles ... The Tigers shot 20-for-70 (28.6 percent) from the field ... Marquette leads the series 4-0 against Grambling State ... Grambling State hasn't won a game since Mar. 3, 2012 against Alabama A&M ... The Tigers have only won four games since the start of the 2011-2012 season.
- GRAMBLING STATE: 71
Nov 12 9:14 PM
- GRAMBLING STATE: 35
Nov 12 8:03 PM
- GRAMBLING STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 12 7:03 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3
- Talented freshmen infused into preseason mix at Marquette Oct 12