Ohio State snaps Marquette's home win streakNov 17, 2013 - 12:12 AM Milwaukee, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Tenth-ranked Ohio State snapped No. 17 Marquette's 27-game home winning streak with a 52-35 victory on Saturday.
Marquette lost at home for the first time since Dec. 29, 2011.
These same two teams were supposed to open last season against each other aboard the USS Yorktown in South Carolina, but due to condensation on the ship's deck, the game was canceled.
Sam Thompson and Shannon Scott both had 13 points for the Buckeyes (3-0), who outscored Marquette by a 33-16 margin in the second half. Aaron Craft tallied 10 points and 10 assists.
Todd Mayo scored 11 points and Davante Gardner had 10 for the Golden Eagles (2-1), who shot just 18.9 percent from the field.
"In the 55 losses since I've been here, I've always given credit to our opponent. When we get beat we say we got beat," said Marquette coach Buzz Williams. "All of the coaching cliches like there was a lid on the basket, I don't ever buy into that. I thought Ohio State was great."
The game was tied 19-19 following a back-and-forth first half.
Ohio State started the second half on a 12-4 run. Scott tallied six points during the surge that Lenzelle Smith capped with a layup for a 31-23 margin.
The Buckeyes followed with a 15-2 spurt moments later to essentially seal the victory. Thompson scored nine points during the burst, including a jumper with 5:07 left to make it a 48-28 game.
Ohio State leads the all-time series by a 6-4 margin ... The Golden Eagles had 20 turnovers ... The Buckeyes shot 42.3 percent from the field.
- OHIO STATE: 52
Nov 16 3:11 PM
- OHIO STATE: 19
Nov 16 2:00 PM
- OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 1:15 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11