ASU swats away No. 25 MarquetteNov 26, 2013 - 6:16 AM Tempe, AZ (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordan Bachynski's seventh block was his biggest.
It won the game.
Bachynski had 14 points, 11 rebounds and a game-sealing block of Derrick Wilson at the buzzer to lead Arizona State to a 79-77 victory over No. 25 Marquette as part of the Wooden Legacy.
Jahii Carson scored 23 points and Jermaine Marshall added 21 for the Sun Devils (6-0), who have started their season with six straight wins for the first time since the 1980-81 season.
Davante Gardner scored 18 and had 12 rebounds, Jake Thomas added 16 points, while Derrick Wilson scored 14 and Jamil Wilson had 13 points for Marquette (3-2), which will face Cal-State Fullerton Thursday.
The teams traded layups inside three minutes and Arizona State had a 78-77 lead with 2:24 left. There were six missed shots following the layups.
Marshall was fouled with seven seconds left and made 1-of-2 free throws to give the Sun Devils a two-point lead, leading to the block by Bachynski, who rose as Wilson drove near the right baseline to swat away his floater.
Earlier, with 11:09 left to play, JaJuan Johnson's layup gave Marquette its first lead since the first basket of the game.
The Sun Devils responded with a 9-2 run to get their lead back up to six points at 69-63.
The Golden Eagles got it back to within three on Thomas' 3 but Jonathan Gilling responded with a 3 for the Sun Devils to make it 72-66.
Thomas hit another 3 to draw Marquette within three again with 7:46 to play.
Derrick Wilson made a layup for the Golden Eagles to get then within a point, 76-75, with under four minutes to play.
Earlier, Arizona State opened up the game with a 14-3 run. Marquette's offense suffered without leading scorer Todd Mayo, who was out with a sprained ankle.
The Sun Devils' largest lead of the first half came with 8:09 left to play when Gilling's 3-pointer gave them a 15-point advantage.
Marquette would, however, claw its way back to within 10 at the half 43-33.
The series now stands at 2-1 in favor of Marquette ... Carson dished out five assists for the Sun Devils.
- MARQUETTE: 77
ARIZONA STATE: 79
Nov 25 11:14 PM
- MARQUETTE: 33
ARIZONA STATE: 43
Nov 25 10:06 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
ARIZONA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 25 9:13 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11