Marquette tops Cal State FullertonNov 29, 2013 - 12:47 AM Fullerton, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jamil Wilson scored a personal-best 24 points on 10-of-14 shooting to power the 25th-ranked Marquette Golden Eagles to an 86-66 win over Cal State Fullerton in the quarterfinals of the Wooden Legacy.
Wilson, who also had nine rebounds and four assists, surpassed his previous career high of 19 in the first half alone, carrying Marquette to a 48-35 halftime lead with 20 points.
Davante Gardner and Jajuan Johnson both tallied 18 points for the Golden Eagles (4-2), who will play George Washington in Friday's semifinals.
"We're just trying to find who we are as a group and the last couple of games we have picked it up," Wilson said.
Michael Williams led the Titans (2-4) with 16 points, but made only 5-of-14 field goal attempts.
"I was proud of their effort and I thought they played the first half with great energy and at end of the day our team just wore out," said Titans coach Dedrique Taylor.
Cal State Fullerton, the host of this tournament, was without leading scorer Alex Harris for a third consecutive game because of a right ankle sprain.
The Titans' 3-point shooting kept them close in the opening half. They converted 7-of-11 from beyond the arc, with Jared Brandon knocking down a trey during an 8-0 run that closed the gap to 38-32 with 3:34 remaining.
Wilson, though, capped his impressive first half by nailing a 3-pointer to give Marquette a 13-point cushion.
The Golden Eagles continued to pull away after the break, opening the second half on an 18-6 run. They led comfortably the rest of the way as Cal State Fullerton went cold from long distance, hitting just 1-of-8 3-point attempts.
Marquette outscored the Titans 42-24 in the paint and held a healthy 40-20 rebounding advantage ... Marquis Horne scored 13 points for Cal State Fullerton ... The Titans will next play Miami-Florida in the consolation bracket ... George Washington outlasted the Hurricanes in overtime earlier Thursday.
- MARQUETTE: 86
CAL STATE FULLERTON: 66
Nov 28 6:25 PM
- MARQUETTE: 48
CAL STATE FULLERTON: 35
Nov 28 5:24 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
CAL STATE FULLERTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 28 4:36 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Coggins' 19 leads CS Fullerton past CS East Bay, 75-52 Jan 3
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3