Kentucky downs ProvidenceDec 2, 2013 - 5:49 AM Brooklyn, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - Willie Cauley-Stein scored 15 points to go with eight rebounds and career-high nine blocks to lead third-ranked Kentucky to a 79-65 win over Providence at Barclays Center.
James Young poured in 18 points and Aaron Harrison finished with 15 for the Wildcats (7-1), who have won seven straight since falling to No. 1 Michigan State in their season opener.
"He's playing harder. He's playing longer," Kentucky coach John Calipari said of Cauley-Stein. "He's never played this many minutes and he's never played this hard."
Kentucky star forward Julius Randle finished with 12 points, eight rebounds and four assists in the win.
Bryce Cotton scored a game-high 23 points, while Josh Fortune and Tyler Harris added 10 points apiece for the Friars (7-2), who have dropped two of their last three games overall.
"We were trying to play inside out," Providence coach Ed Cooley said. "I thought our guys got frustrated trying to shoot over their length. Their depth at the rim is what makes them. When those guys mature they can be really, really scary."
The Wildcats led 39-35 at the end of the first half, and Cotton buried a trey 17 seconds into the second half to make it a one-point game. Kentucky, though, opened up an 18-7 run to go up 57-45 with 11:09 left.
Kentucky's spread swelled to 17 after Dominique Hawkins knocked down a 3- pointer at the 6:45 mark.
Providence didn't get closer than 12 the rest of the way.
Harrison put Kentucky up 16-6 with his jumper just over 6 1/2 minutes into the game. Providence then rattled off a 14-7 run to pull within 23-20.
The Wildcats left 35-28 after Cauley-Stein's jumper with 4:18 remaining, but the Friars outscored Kentucky 7-4 the rest of the way.
Kentucky won the only other meeting between these two teams, slipping by the Friars, 79-78, during the 1976 NIT ... Kentucky shot 64.3 percent (27-for-42) from the field and held Providence to just 31.1 percent (19-for-61) efficiency ... Providence had 18 offensive rebounds.
- KENTUCKY: 79
Dec 1 10:48 PM
- KENTUCKY: 39
Dec 1 9:31 PM
- KENTUCKY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 8:42 PM
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky falters, loses to Indiana 73-67 Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18