Gasser guides Wisconsin past St. John'sNov 9, 2013 - 2:47 AM Sioux Falls, SD (SportsNetwork.com) - Josh Gasser poured in 19 points and pulled down eight rebounds to lead No. 20 Wisconsin to an 86-75 win over St. John's on Friday at the Sanford Pentagon.
Sam Dekker added 16 points and seven boards and Duje Dukan chipped in 15 points off the bench for the Badgers (1-0), who have won 12 straight season openers.
D'Angelo Harrison paced the Red Storm (0-1) with 27 points and Jakarr Sampson added 23 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the field.
Wisconsin scored the first five points of the game and led 24-10 midway through the first half.
Jamal Branch made it a nine-point game after splitting a pair of free throws, but a Gasser 3-pointer with just under six minutes left put the Badgers on top 31-13.
Sir'Dominic Pointer capped a 10-0 St. John's run with a layup with just over two minutes to play in the half, but Frank Kaminsky knocked down a tough hook shot in the paint to give Wisconsin at 35-23 lead at the break.
The Red Storm cut the deficit to four, 58-54, with 8:33 remaining, but back- to-back triples from Dekker and Ben Brust, followed by a pair of Gasser free throws, quickly pushed the margin to 66-54 with seven minutes left.
St. John's failed to get closer than seven the rest of the way.
Wisconsin went 11-for-20 from 3-point range ... The Badgers hold a 4-0 lead in the all-time series ... These schools last faced in the 2002 NCAA Tournament .... St John's, which led the nation with 7.3 blocked shots per game, had no blocks on Friday ... Red Storm freshman Rysheed Jordan was held to six points on just 2-of-7 shooting.
- ST. JOHN'S: 75
Nov 8 9:19 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 23
Nov 8 7:52 PM
- ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 8 7:05 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Native sons Chryst, Gard lead Wisconsin's visible programs Mar 14