Arizona rolls past Texas TechDec 4, 2013 - 6:48 AM Tucson, AZ (SportsNetwork.com) - Aaron Gordon scored 19 points and pulled down eight rebounds to lead No. 2 Arizona to a 79-58 win over Texas Tech on Tuesday.
Gordon was 7-for-10 from the field but finished a dreadful 4-for-12 from the free throw line.
Brandon Ashley posted a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds and Nick Johnson finished with 18 points on 4-of-6 shooting from 3-point range for the Wildcats (8-0), who will face UNLV on Dec. 7.
"We outscored Texas Tech by 16 points combining the first four minutes in each half. So if you look at that from that perspective, That's good. For the majority of both halves," said Arizona coach Sean Miller.
Kader Tapsoba poured in a team-high 13 points while Jaye Crockett and Aaron Ross finished with 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Red Raiders (6-3), who had won two straight entering the contest.
"In the Big 12, there are a couple of top 10 teams. We just played against the No. 2 team and now we know what is going to come up so we won't be surprised by it when it does," Ross.
Arizona led from the jump, racing out to an early 10-0 lead just over 3 1/2 minutes in.
The Wildcats' margin swelled to 13, 23-10, after an Ashley layup at the 7:52 mark. The Red Raiders managed to pull within 23-18 on a Crockett layup, but Arizona closed the half on a 12-7 swing to take a 35-25 lead into the break.
Arizona's lead swelled to 20 after a pair of Ashley free throws and Texas Tech couldn't get closer than 15 the rest of the way.
Arizona shot 50 percent from the field, but was just 19-for-33 from the free throw line ... The Wildcats outrebounded Texas Tech 43-23 ... T.J. McConnell had 10 assists for Arizona ... The Red Raiders were just 1-for-11 from beyond the arc.
- TEXAS TECH: 58
Dec 3 11:12 PM
- TEXAS TECH: 58
End of Regulation
Dec 3 11:11 PM
- TEXAS TECH: 25
Dec 3 9:55 PM
- TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 9:08 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10