Iowa finally wins in ChampaignFeb 2, 2014 - 3:45 AM Champaign, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - Iowa beat Illinois in Champaign for the first time since 1999.
Roy Devyn Marble had 17 points in the 15th-ranked Hawkeyes' 81-74 victory over the Fighting Illini on Saturday.
Gabriel Olaseni added 15 points and 12 rebounds for Iowa (17-5, 6-3 Big Ten), which had lost in its previous 11 trips to Champaign. Aaron White tallied 14 points and six boards.
The Hawkeyes, who went 24-of-30 from the foul line, bounced back from a 71-69 overtime loss to Michigan State on Tuesday.
Joseph Bertrand ended with 20 points for the Illini (13-9, 2-7), who have lost seven in a row. Rayvonte Rice and Tracy Abrams tallied 13 and 11 points, respectively.
Iowa raced out to a 34-13 lead, but failed to make a field goal in the final 7:37 of the first half. Illinois fought back and closed out the half on a 23-6 run to get within 40-36.
The Illini took a 62-61 lead on a 3-pointer by Abrams with 10:18 to play. Bertrand and Rice each added a layup to make it a five-point contest.
Marble then made a 3-pointer and Olaseni scored on a layup to tie things up.
Rice made four straight free throws to give Illinois the lead back, but Iowa closed out the game on a 15-4 run. Mike Gesell made a jumper and free throw around a missed 3-pointer by Rice to make it 73-70 Hawkeyes with three minutes left.
Bertrand's jumper cut the gap to one, but he turned the ball over on the next Illinois possession. Marble followed with a 3-point play and scored six straight Iowa points to put the game away.
Illinois owns an 81-69 lead in the all-time series with Iowa ... The Illini went 18-of-23 from the foul line ... The Hawkeyes outrebounded Illinois by a 41-28 margin.
- IOWA: 81
Feb 1 9:45 PM
- IOWA: 40
Feb 1 8:34 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 1 7:37 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- After arrests, Illinois AD gives Groce another endorsement Mar 24