Iowa defeats DrakeDec 8, 2013 - 8:51 AM Des Moines, IA (SportsNetwork.com) - Melsahn Basabe had 15 points, Roy Devyn Marble and Peter Jok scored 14 apiece and No. 23 Iowa beat Drake 83-66 on Saturday as part of the Big Four Classic.
Jarrod Uthoff chipped in 13 points for the Hawkeyes (9-1), who have won two in a row after losing to Villanova last Saturday.
Chris Caird scored a game-high 21 points and Richard Carter added 18 for the Bulldogs (6-2), who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
Drake stayed with the Hawkeyes and had a 40-39 lead before a 12-0 Iowa run spanning the first and second half put the Hawkeyes in front.
Basabe had six points during the surge, including a jumper that extended a 49-40 halftime lead to 51-40 for the Hawkeyes.
"I think we stayed in close," said Basabe. "As an experienced player I know we can make a team break. We were able to sustain a high level."
A Basabe layup pushed Iowa's lead to 16 points with 15:02 remaining and the Bulldogs were never closer than nine the rest of the way.
"They have four different guys that can push it in transition," said Drake coach Ray Giacoletti. "Their transition offense is as good as I've seen in a long time."
Iowa shot 45.3 percent in the game, but was poor from 3-point range, hitting just 3-of-18. Drake shot 39.7 percent and made 12 of its 29 3-pointers.
Iowa State out-rebounded Drake 47-28 ... The Hawkeyes lead the all-time series 57-10 ... Iowa is at home against Fairleigh Dickinson on Monday and Drake plays at home next Sunday against New Mexico State.
- IOWA: 83
Dec 7 10:53 PM
- IOWA: 49
Dec 7 9:55 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 7 9:06 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Iowa athletics staffer files discrimination suit vs school Nov 4