Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina StateNov 13, 2013 - 3:10 AM Ann Arbor, MI (SportsNetwork.com) - Caris LeVert had 24 points, Nik Stauskas scored 23 and No. 7 Michigan shot the lights out from 3-point range Tuesday night for an easy 93-59 win over South Carolina State.
LaVert was 6-for-7 on 3-pointers, Stauskas went 5-for-6 and the Wolverines (2-0) made 15 3s as a team to fall one shy of tying a school record.
"Me and Caris were together all spring and summer working out and we have shootouts all the time," said Stauskas. "I know he's capable of doing that any night."
Glenn Robinson III added 13 points and nine rebounds in the victory, Derrick Walton Jr. scored 12 and Jon Horford chipped in 15 rebounds and nine points.
Michigan was fine again without preseason All-American Mitch McGary, who sat out with a back injury. McGary also missed Michigan's season-opening 69-42 win over UMass Lowell on Friday.
Jordan Smith scored 19 points to lead the Bulldogs (1-2) and Matthew Hezekiah had 11.
LeVert made his first five 3-pointers, the last one giving Michigan a 27-10 lead 8:18 into the game.
"When you see one guy on the team get hot we all feed off it," said Stauskas.
His 3 pushed the advantage to 20 and the Wolverines later scored the last six points of the half to take a 59-23 lead into the locker room.
They led by as many as 43 in the second half and finished 31-of-61 from the field in the game, including 15-of-28 on 3s.
It was Michigan's highest point total since a 95-67 win over Big Ten rival Iowa on Jan. 6 ... The Wolverines play at Iowa State on Sunday ... South Carolina State, which plays in the MEAC, is on the road again Sunday at Nebraska.
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE: 59
Nov 12 8:47 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE: 23
Nov 12 7:44 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 12 7:03 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12