Irvin helps Michigan cruise past Coppin StateNov 29, 2013 - 10:09 PM Ann Arbor, MI (SportsNetwork.com) - Zak Irvin stepped up for the short-handed Wolverines to the tune of 24 points on 9-of-13 shooting as No. 22 Michigan rolled past Coppin State, 87-45, in a non-conference bout on Friday.
Caris LeVert and Glenn Robinson III added 15 and 14 points, respectively, as Michigan (5-2) returned to the friendly confines of Chrisler Center after playing the last four games away from home.
Nik Stauskas, who entered the contest with five straight 20-plus point efforts, was held out of the Michigan lineup after spraining his ankle in the second half of the Wolverines' last-second loss to Charlotte in the finals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off on Sunday.
Dallas Gary paced Coppin State (2-3) with 11 points off the bench. Taariq Cephas tallied 10 points and five assists.
Jordan Morgan got off to a hot start for Michigan, scoring all six of his points and surpassing his season-high of four before the first media timeout. His jumper had the Wolverines in front, 10-5.
CSU kept it close in the early portion of the contest but Michigan scored on seven straight possessions midway through the period. Robinson's backdoor alley-oop out of a timeout gave the Maize and Blue a 31-16 edge.
LeVert put a cap on a big first half with a stepback jumper as the buzzer sounded. Michigan shot 56.7 percent from the floor and led 42-23 at the break.
Already holding a commanding 23-point lead 5:53 into the second half, Irvin caught fire and hit three consecutive treys to the delight of the home crowd as part of his 14 second-half points.
Michigan improved to 3-0 all-time against Coppin State ... Preseason All- American Mitch McGary made his first start of the season after coming off the bench in the previous four games. He recorded six points and eight rebounds ... Coppin State fell to 0-26 against Big Ten opponents.
- COPPIN STATE: 45
Nov 29 4:54 PM
- COPPIN STATE: 23
Nov 29 3:45 PM
- COPPIN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 29 3:05 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12