Bairstow leads Lobos over BuccaneersNov 18, 2013 - 3:18 AM Albuquerque, NM (SportsNetwork.com) - Cameron Bairstow scored a career-high 29 points on 9-of-13 shooting to lead five New Mexico players in double figures, as the 22nd-ranked Lobos defeated Charleston Southern 109-93 on Sunday.
Alex Kirk also made 9-of-13 field goals and finished with 24 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks for New Mexico (2-0), which shot a sizzling 59.6 percent and converted half of their 18 3-point attempts.
Kendall Williams had 20 points, 10 assists and three steals, while Cullen Neal contributed 11 points with seven assists off the bench and Cleveland Thomas chipped in 10 points.
Saah Nimley led the Buccaneers (2-2) with 24 points and matched a personal best with 12 assists. Paul Gombwer scored a career-high 17 points for a Charleston Southern team that shot 57.1 percent in the second half.
New Mexico head coach Craig Neal wasn't happy with his team's defensive effort in the second half during which Charleston Southern put up 57 points.
"Frankly I'm embarrassed with the way we guarded in the second half," Neal said. "In the second half I think our guys got very lackadaisical."
New Mexico and Charleston Southern went back and forth in the early going, with neither team leading by more than five points. Arlon Harper hit a 3- pointer to put the visitors up 21-19 with nearly eight minutes elapsed, but a dunk by Bairstow sparked a 9-0 burst.
The Lobos then went on 19-5 run after the Buccaneers closed to within 31-27 and took a 52-36 advantage into halftime.
New Mexico improved to 3-0 all-time versus Charleston Southern ... Sheldon Strickland also had 17 points for the Buccaneers.
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 93
NEW MEXICO: 109
Nov 17 8:06 PM
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 36
NEW MEXICO: 52
Nov 17 6:57 PM
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 0
NEW MEXICO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 17 6:08 PM
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- Colorado State cruises past Charleston Southern Dec 23
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21
- Cardinal clash with Lobos in South Regional affair Mar 21
- New Mexico clips San Diego State to win MWC title Mar 15
- MWC championship game pits Lobos against Aztecs Mar 15
- New Mexico slips past Boise State to reach MW final Mar 15