Williams leads Ohio State over AmericanNov 21, 2013 - 7:06 AM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Amir Williams had 16 points and seven rebounds, while Aaron Craft tallied seven of No. 8 Ohio State's 15 steals in the Buckeyes' 63-52 triumph over American on Wednesday night.
"I've seen him more energized and aggressive this season," Ohio State head coach Thad Matta said of Williams. "He has also been dominating in practice. Tonight I really loved seeing his patience."
Shannon Scott added 13 points, nine boards and three steals for the Buckeyes (4-0), who shot 35.7 percent (20-of-56) from the floor and just 18.8 percent (3-of-16) from beyond the arc.
Tony Wroblicky filled the stat sheet with 14 points, seven boards, four blocks and three steals for American (1-2), which turned the ball over 27 times.
"We had 27 turnovers and gave up 17 offensive rebounds, and I think that had a lot to do with the loss. They're loaded with a lot of weapons," American head coach Mike Brennan said.
The Eagles hung around in the opening 20 minutes and led 20-17 following John Schoof's layup with 6:32 left in the half, but the Buckeyes closed the stanza on an 11-3 run.
Right after Darius Gardner's three-point play whittled the American deficit to 26-23 with three seconds remaining, Craft snuck free and converted a layup right before the horn to make it 28-23 heading into the break.
Ohio State began the second half on a 9-4 flurry and Williams' jumper capped the swing and gave the Buckeyes their first double-digit lead, 37-27.
Jesse Reed's layup got the Eagles within 51-44 with 6:22 to go, but Ohio State ripped off nine straight to put the game away. A Williams steal led to a Sam Thompson dunk in transition for a 60-44 advantage with 2:17 on the clock.
Craft netted nine points, but was just 2-of-9 from the floor ... Reed led American with 15 points ... The Buckeyes gave the ball away 13 times.
- AMERICAN: 52
OHIO STATE: 63
Nov 20 9:26 PM
- AMERICAN: 23
OHIO STATE: 28
Nov 20 8:18 PM
- AMERICAN: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 7:32 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19
- Rams butt heads with Buckeyes in West Region Mar 19
- American Athletic Conference Tournament Recaps Mar 15