No. 7 Ohio State takes down WyomingNov 26, 2013 - 5:52 AM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Lenzelle Smith Jr. led with a game-high 20 points as the No. 7 Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the Wyoming Cowboys, 65-50, at Value City Arena.
Smith Jr. drained 5-of-8 of his 3-point attempts. Amir Williams pulled down 16 boards and scored 12 points and Aaron Craft added 10 points as the Buckeyes (5-0) stayed undefeated.
Larry Nance Jr. recorded a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds, while Derek Cooke Jr. and Riley Grabau each scored eight points as Ohio State halted Wyoming's (4-2) three game winning streak.
"It was really cool coming back home. It was a dream come true playing on this court. I'm proud of our team played tonight and the way we handled ourselves," said Nance Jr.
Ohio State took over the game at the 12:14 mark of the second half. Shannon Scott got called for a technical foul and Grabau drained the two free throws to tie the game at 45. Smith Jr. drained a 3 to give the Buckeyes a 48-45 lead and spark a 20-5 run to end the game.
Craft drained two free throws and made two layups to give the Buckeyes six straight points before Smith Jr. hit another 3-pointer to make it 57-47 with 5:56 remaining.
"I told my players Wyoming is a very good basketball team, but we allowed them to shoot 55 percent in the first half," said OSU head coach Thad Matta. "The adjustments we made in the second half resulted in the best defense we are capable of playing."
The Buckeyes got off to a hot start with Scott making two shots from beyond the arc in a 10-4 run to start the game.
Wyoming got to within two late in the first half after Nance Jr. dunked to make it 32-30. Smith dropped a 3-pointer and Williams tipped in a shot to give the Buckeyes a 38-32 game before Nance Jr. dunked with 17 seconds remaining to account for the score at the end of the half.
Grabau pulled up to make a 3-point jumper and Nance Jr. slammed a commanding dunk on a 9-0 run early in the second half that gave a 42-39 Wyoming lead.
The Buckeyes are now 3-1 all-time vs. Wyoming and have not faced the Cowboys since the 1995-96 season ... Ohio State outrebounded Wyoming 42-29 ... The Buckeyes shot 34.8 percent from beyond the arc, while the Cowboys only managed to shoot 14.3.
- WYOMING: 50
OHIO STATE: 65
Nov 25 8:54 PM
- WYOMING: 34
OHIO STATE: 38
Nov 25 7:45 PM
- WYOMING: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 25 7:02 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20