Smith, Ohio State rout BryantDec 12, 2013 - 4:45 AM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Lenzelle Smith Jr. poured in a game-high 19 points with eight rebounds to lead No. 3 Ohio State to an 86-48 victory over Bryant in a Gotham Classic matchup.
Amir Williams had 12 points, nine rebounds and six blocks for the Buckeyes (9-0), who face North Dakota State Saturday.
"I think Lenzelle is playing at a very high level," Ohio State head coach Thad Matta said of Smith. "He is a complete basketball player. His defense goes unnoticed except by me."
Dyami Starks netted 16 points for Bryant (6-5), which has lost three straight.
Sam Thompson nailed a jumper to spark a 13-6 Buckeye run 5:13 into the first half. Williams ended the run with a layup to make the score 25-15 Ohio State.
The Bulldogs pulled back within seven points, 25-18, before Amedeo Della Valle swished a 3 with 8:24 left in the first. That started an 18-5 surge by Ohio State to close out the half.
After a Starks 3-pointer, with 5:27 to go, the Bulldogs did not score the rest of the half. Ohio State led 43-23 heading into the locker room.
Ohio State started an 18-6 run 1:43 into the second half that stretched the lead to 33 points and it reached as high as 38.
"They play national-championship caliber defense," Bryant head coach Tim O'Shea said of the Buckeyes. "They've got the length; they've got the shot blocking; they've got the quickness."
Ohio State shot 32-for-61 from the field, while Bryant shot 16-for-58 ... The Buckeyes have won 75 consecutive home games against unranked opponents ... The Bulldogs are 0-5 all-time against current members of the Big Ten ... Dan Garvin added seven points and nine rebounds for Bryant.
- BRYANT: 48
OHIO STATE: 86
Dec 11 9:19 PM
- BRYANT: 23
OHIO STATE: 43
Dec 11 8:14 PM
- BRYANT: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 11 7:31 PM
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Robert Morris cruises past Bryant 89-71 Feb 6
- Robert Morris never trails in 65-54 win over Bryant Jan 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21