Kaminsky leads Wisconsin past Oral RobertsNov 24, 2013 - 5:29 AM Madison, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Frank Kaminsky led five Wisconsin players in double figures with 21 points and the 12th-ranked Badgers posted a 76-67 win over the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles.
Josh Gasser added 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting and matched Kaminsky with six rebounds for Wisconsin, which has opened 6-0 for the second time in three seasons.
Ben Brust totaled 12 points, eight boards and five assists in the Badgers' first win in three tries over the Golden Eagles.
"Shots aren't going to fall every game and it's nice to have a guy like Frank who you can get the ball to and can score it well," Gasser said. "Sometimes when shots aren't falling, we'll just call a play and get him the ball in the post and make plays that way. The good way to score is to get to the free throw line, get the ball as close to the basket as you can and hope that he'll make a play and we've been pretty successful with that so far."
This game was part of the Cancun Challenge for the Badgers, who will next travel to Mexico to face Saint Louis in the semifinals on Tuesday.
Shawn Glover led Oral Roberts (2-3) with 24 points.
"Playing our first game without Obi [Emegano], our leading scorer, I really didn't know what to expect, so I was pleased that we fought. We shot the ball extremely well. Probably the biggest difference in the game was our turnovers," Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton said.
Emegano was out with a right knee injury for the Golden Eagles, who committed 14 turnovers.
Bobby Word nailed a 3-pointer from the right corner in transition to bring the Golden Eagles to within 70-65 with 1:15 remaining. Traevon Jackson, however, sank four free throws for the Badgers around a Glover miss and an Oral Roberts turnover to seal the win.
Wisconsin stormed out of the gate, scoring the game's first nine points and building a 28-11 lead. The Badgers led 37-28 at halftime and had their advantage cut to four on a handful occasions in the second half as Oral Roberts shook off the sluggish start.
Jackson had 11 points and seven assists ... Sam Dekker supplied 10 points and three steals for Wisconsin ... Word finished with 14 points and seven rebounds.
- ORAL ROBERTS: 67
Nov 23 10:26 PM
- ORAL ROBERTS: 28
Nov 23 9:17 PM
- ORAL ROBERTS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 8:37 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Native sons Chryst, Gard lead Wisconsin's visible programs Mar 14