Brust, Badgers take down MilwaukeeDec 12, 2013 - 4:07 AM Madison, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Ben Brust buried four 3-pointers and led a balanced Wisconsin scoring attack with 18 points, as the fourth-ranked Badgers downed Milwaukee, 78-52, on Wednesday at Kohl Center.
Frank Kaminsky supplied 16 points, while Sam Dekker donated 12 points, eight rebounds and six assists for the Badgers (11-0), who are off to their best start since opening the 1993-94 season 11-0.
"Our guys have played good teams and they get credit," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said. "You get credit for what you've done to this point."
Kyle Kelm netted 17 points and Matt Tiby tallied 11 points for the Panthers (9-3), who had won five straight games.
Milwaukee led 7-4 just over five minutes in following Steve McWhorter's jumper, but after Kaminsky countered with a 3-pointer at the other end, Brust caught fire to help the Badgers build a comfortable cushion.
The senior guard scored Wisconsin's next 13 points, including consecutive triples that gave the Badgers a 20-9 lead with just under nine minutes left in the half.
A Kelm jumper cut the margin to nine just over a minute later, but Traevon Jackson netted six straight points to spark a 13-0 surge that Brust capped with a trey for a 35-13 spread with 4:52 left in the half.
"The way they were shooting the ball in the first half was impressive," Milwaukee head coach Rob Jeter said of the Badgers. "But I think for us, the game's really summed up in that we were really trying to make everything happen in one pass, one play, and as a result, we gave up 28 points off of 19 turnovers. That really sums up the game right there"
Wisconsin carried a 45-25 advantage into the break and held the Panthers at bay throughout the second half, never allowing the Panthers to get closer than 16 points over the final 20 minutes.
Wisconsin has won all but one of the 31 all-time meetings between the schools, with the lone loss coming on Dec. 12, 1992 ... Wisconsin's 11-0 start is tied for the program's best start to a season in the modern era (since 1943) ... Jackson finished with 12 points and four assists ... Milwaukee committed 19 turnovers, compared to just eight from Wisconsin.
- WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE: 52
Dec 11 9:46 PM
- WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE: 25
Dec 11 8:48 PM
- WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 11 8:11 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Milwaukee hires Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan as coach Apr 7
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17