Wisconsin (12-0) off to best start in school historyDec 14, 2013 - 10:30 PM Madison, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Ben Brust scored 20 points, Nigel Hayes added 17 and the No. 4 Wisconsin Badgers stayed undefeated by rolling past Eastern Kentucky, 86-61, on Saturday.
The Badgers (12-0) are off to the best start in the program's modern history, which dates back to 1946.
"I just think overall we have a lot of different parts that come together and fit nicely," said Brust. "We have freshmen, we have sophomores, we have juniors, we have seniors, so just a lot of different pieces that all kind of just come together. But we still have a lot of work to do."
Sam Dekker scored 15 of his 16 points in the first half as Wisconsin built a huge lead and won going away. Frank Kaminsky battled through a foot injury and put up 13 points, six rebounds and four assists in the resounding win.
Glenn Cosey provided 21 points for the Colonels (7-4), who were beaten soundly on the boards, 33-20, were outscored at the free throw line by a wide 25-9 margin and watched the Badgers shoot 60.5 percent from the field.
"I think Wisconsin showed why it's the fourth-ranked team in the country," said Eastern Kentucky coach Jeff Neubauer. "They're incredibly efficient at the offensive end and their defense is as disciplined a defense as I've ever seen."
Eastern Kentucky actually led, 8-7, early on, but Wisconsin responded with a 21-3 flurry over an eight-minute span.
Brust ignited things with a pair of 3-pointers, and Dekker ended the run with a three-point play that pushed Wisconsin's lead to 28-11 with 6 1/2 minutes left in the half.
It was 42-23 in Wisconsin's favor at the break, and the hosts led by as many as 33 in the second half.
Thirteen of Hayes' points came from the foul line ... EKU recorded just six assists on 24 made baskets ... Wisconsin's 12 opponents are a combined 71-30 (.703) in games not against the Badgers ... The Badgers have a two week break before taking on Prairie View A&M on Dec. 28.
- EASTERN KENTUCKY: 61
Dec 14 2:50 PM
- EASTERN KENTUCKY: 23
Dec 14 1:50 PM
- EASTERN KENTUCKY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 14 1:03 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Native sons Chryst, Gard lead Wisconsin's visible programs Mar 14