UCLA wins opener over DrexelNov 9, 2013 - 7:25 AM Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordan Adams scored a team-high 16 points as No. 22 UCLA held off Drexel, 72-67, in Steve Alford's debut for the Bruins on Friday.
Zach LaVine and David Wear added 14 points apiece and Kyle Anderson finished with 12 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists for the Bruins (1-0), who went 25-10 last season.
Alford spent the last six seasons (2007-2013) with New Mexico before taking the UCLA in the offseason.
Frantz Massenat scored a game-high 20 points and Damion Lee added 17 points and seven boards for the Dragons (0-1).
UCLA led 54-46 following David Wear's layup with 12 1/2 minutes left. Drexel, though, used a 19-12 burst, capped with Massenat's layup to pull within 66-65 with 2:21 remaining.
After a pair of Adams free throws and a Tony Parker slam, the Bruins led 70-65.
Lee's layup with 57 ticks showing pulled the Dragons within 70-67. On the ensuing inbounds pass Parker had his foot on the baseline and Drexel got the ball back, but Norman Powell stripped Chris Fouch.
Drexel got a stop, but Lee's trey from well behind the arc didn't even draw iron and Adams sunk a pair of free throws to seal the win.
UCLA raced out to a 20-9 lead eight minutes in, but a 10-4 flurry brought Drexel within 24-19 with 9:47 to play.
The Bruins managed to stretch their cushion to 13, 40-27, following Anderson's layup, and took a 42-31 edge into the break.
UCLA defeated Drexel 57-56 in the only prior meeting between the teams in the 2005 NIT Tip-Off ... Fouch scored 11 points for the Dragons.
- DREXEL: 67
Nov 9 2:01 AM
- DREXEL: 31
Nov 9 12:53 AM
- DREXEL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 9 12:10 AM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21